There are some unanswerable questions about life that don't really matter, but are interesting to think about. They might sound ridiculous, but they all have a point. If you want to force your brain to think about things it normally ignores, here are some of the most fascinating unanswerable questions about life to ponder:
1. Why is an Alarm Clock Going "off" when It Actually Turns on?
Before your head hits the pillow at night, you have to set your alarm to go off at a certain time. But aren't you really telling it to turn on at a certain time, so that it wakes you up? This is one of the unanswerable questions about life that might not matter much, but makes you think.
2. Isn't It a Bit Unnerving That Doctors Call What They do Practice?
Whenever you go to get a procedure done, you want your doctor to be the best in the business. You don't want him to be fresh out of medical school, with little to no practice outside of the classroom.
3. Why Are They Called Apartments when They Are All Stuck Together?
None of them are apart. They're all side by side, leaving as little space between them as possible.
4. If a Person Told You They Were a Pathological Liar, Would You Believe Them?
Pathological liars never really tell the truth, so it's hard to believe a word that comes out of their mouths. So if they claim they're a pathological liar, are they being honest for once?
5. How do Keep off the Grass Signs Get There?
Those signs are usually smack dab in the middle of a patch of grass. If no one is supposed to step foot on the green, then how did someone walk out to put the sign there in the first place?
6. Is There Another Word for Synonym?
Synonyms are words that have the same meaning as another word. It would be ironic if 'synonym' did not have a synonym, but no words come to mind.
7. What if There Were No Hypothetical Situations?
This question is a hypothetical one, which is what makes it so ironic. You can't imagine a world without hypothetical situations unless you're thinking about a hypothetical situation.
8. Why is the Man Who Invests All Your Money Called a Broker?
You want to save money, not lose it. That's why it's disconcerting that a man meant to help you with your money has the word 'broke' in his title.
9. Why Isn't Phonetic Spelled the Way It Sounds?
Phonetics is when a word is spelled how it sounds. Ironically, 'phonetics' is pretty difficult to spell, since it sounds like it begins with an "F."
10. Why do We Drive on Parkways and Park on Driveways?
You'd think it would be the opposite. It would make way more sense, but the English language is a complicated thing.
11. Doesn't Expecting the Unexpected Make the Unexpected the Expected?
If you were able to follow this question and understand it, you know it makes sense. Expecting the unexpected changes your expectations, does it not?
Some of these "unanswerable" questions actually do have sensical answers, but they're fun to think about nevertheless. Are there any others you can think of off of the top of your head?